cuteblogbg

Monday, May 14, 2012

Guest Room Quick Change

I got tired of looking at the brown comforter on the bed in the guest room yesterday, so I decided to do a quick change up using a couple of microfiber sheet sets from Overstock.com that didn't quite meet with Mr. Handyverger's finicky taste in fabrics.  His only approved sheet fabric is flannel - which means summertime is quite interesting in the Handyverger home.  In fairness, he tends toward dry skin, so I can't blame him.  That's neither here nor there, though, but this left me with some extra sheets, and shipping back to Overstock.com was quite pricey.

The first thing I did was use a fitted sheet to make a poofy valance, as you see in the great tutorial on In My Own Style.  There are two windows in the guest room, so once I get my sewing machine out, I'll make a second one using that fitted sheet and a second plain white fitted sheet.   After that, I used the flat sheet from the set as a bedspread.  That gave me lots of overhang, which I like in a bedspread, since it's a king sized sheet and a queen sized bed.  Finally, I used pillow cases from other sets I have to make the bed look nice and pretty.



The guest room has two closets, and with my desk in here (which you can't see from the picture, but it's right behind the spot I'm taking the picture in), there's not a great spot to put a queen-sized bed.  Until we have a better solution worked out, the bed lives in front of one of the two closets.  It's not the most convenient, but we put things that we don't use very often in that closet.

I plan, also, to use different ribbons on the valances when all is said and done.

What do you think?  Not too bad for using what I already had around...


Sharing at hFive Days, Five Ways Feature Friday Free-for-All

4 comments:

  1. I love the fabric! Sheets are a great way to go for inexpensive fabric... very savvy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tiffany! :) I had to resist the urge to order more, I liked the pattern so much.

      Delete
  2. Quick changes are the best. Great idea to use the flat sheet as a bedspread. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! :) Quick changes are so gratifying, aren't they?

      Delete